Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reflection on Part 1

Dr. Crane as The Scarecrow
I have always been fascinated by fear. When I was a kid I remember watching the Batman Animated Series. I thought it was so cool that one of Batman's villains, the Scarecrow(pictured), literally used fear as his weapon. Therefore, when I saw this course in the catalog I had to take it.

I am very much enjoying the course so far. It is very interesting to see just how much fear has become saturated into our culture. The readings are varied, but all contribute to the same conversation. I think our class disillusions are good, and similar conversations should be conducted in other classes across this campus. Issues we have discussed affect everyone and everyone should be aware of them. The highlight of the curriculum, for me, has been the films we have watched. From enlightening documentaries, to classic horror films, I seem to get more and more out of each one.

As much as I have enjoyed the material, it tends to be pretty depressing. Watching Bowling for Columbine is hardly a pick me up. Realizing just how convoluted our prison and news systems are was tough to swallow. Clearly there are plenty of examples throughout this class so far, that make me wonder how will things ever change? I would like to think that study this material could help, but it is only a step in the right direction. Therefore, I like to make memes related to the topics we cover and put them in my blog. Sometimes, a little humor can make me feel better.
I am excited to see where this class is going, and to further explore Glassner's book. I am confident that this last half of the class will be as strong as the first. However, until then I will be enjoying my spring break on a beach in Cancun! I know I have posted this clip before, but I think it perfectly summarizes the power of fear and many of the themes in this class. This is an episode from The Twilight Zone, about one city block that begins to turn on each other. Even though the fear revolves around communism, it is still very much relevant today.

No comments:

Post a Comment